With the 88th annual Academy Award ceremony just a few hours away, it is an appropriate time to make predictions and wonder who will be this year’s great winners. But before you get our hopes up, you might want to take a look back at the many times when exceptional actors failed to receive an Oscar.
1. Leonardo DiCaprio – Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past 20 years, you must know about Leo’s unbelievably tough luck with Oscars. In recent years, his misfortune has been the subject of many articles teeming with frustration, as well as various internet memes. Despite counting up to four nominations for Best Actor for roles in The Aviator, Blood Diamond or The Wolf of Wall Street, DiCaprio hasn’t managed to get his hands on an Academy Award just yet.
2. Harrison Ford – Known worldwide for his roles in the Star Wars movie franchise as well as Indiana Jones, Ford hasn’t been awarded an Oscar so far either. He was, however, nominated for Best Actor for his role in the movie Witness in 1986.
3. Joaquin Phoenix – An extremely versatile actor, who throughout the years has played truly loathsome villains (see Gladiator), impersonated Johnny Cash in the romantic drama Walk the Line and much more. Unfortunately, the Academy award has also eluded Phoenix, despite his constant nominations for Best Actor, for roles in films like Walk the Line and The Master.
4. Johnny Depp – Hollywood’s master of disguise and witty lines (as Captain Jack Sparrow) has been nominated many times over the years for films like Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Finding Neverland and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street but failed to earn a most-deserved Academy Award.
5. Robert Downey Jr. – One of Hollywood’s most respected actors, known for his role as Iron Man in the Iron Man saga and The Avengers, as well as Sherlock Holmes and Chaplin. Despite his nominations for Best Actor, his Oscar-winning days have yet to come.