Inspiration and creativity are rather abstract notions, hard to define and pin down. We recognize them when they happen, but it’s sometimes a struggle to figure out strategies to trigger them. Inspiration strikes at will, and it’s for the most part unpredictable.
That wouldn’t be such a problem unless, say, your job depended on it. If your job pretty much requires you to be perpetually inspired and come up with creative ideas on demand, then you have to figure out some ways to trigger creative inspiration. Here are some suggestions:
- Do research – it’s a fact that the more you consume in terms of information and other people’s creations, the more likely you will be to come up with inspiration and ideas. A very common example of this is the connection between reading and creative writing. The more you read, the more likely you’ll be to get inspired in your own creative process of writing.
- Discuss your ideas with others – more often than not, your best ideas come to you not when you are on your own, but when you’re engaging in conversation with other people, allowing those ideas to circulate and develop. Constructive feedback is very useful in situations like these, for it enlarges your perspective and encourages creativity.
- Write down your ideas – this is a must, especially for people who tend to forget easily or are not able to multi-task. As soon as inspiration strikes, jot down your ideas in as much detail as you can. This way, you will not only avoid forgetting but also be motivated by the realization that your ideas are taking shape.
- Think deeply, then forget about it – what this means is that while it is very important to take time to nurture your ideas, it is just as essential to take a break from this process. Otherwise you can end up in a creative block, which can be quite discouraging.
- Always consider alternatives – this is probably the backbone of any creative process. Artists, and not only them, must always be able to take risks, consider opposites and think outside the box.
- Be present – for inspiration to strike, it must have resources to draw upon. So practice full awareness in your daily life, try to acknowledge and register as much as you can about your surroundings, the people you talk to and so on. You never know which particular element will trigger your creative inspiration next.