At least 84 people were killed and other 100 gravely injured in a terrorist attack that was carried out during Bastille Day celebrations in the French city of Nice. Among the dead there was a significant number of children.
The killer, later shot dead by the police, was identified as a French-Tunisian criminal well known to the police for armed attacks. He drove his hired truck at high speed through the crowd gathered for the celebrations along the famed Promenade des Anglais seafront.
A search of the vehicle revealed a pistol, another, larger gun, and a number of fake weapons and grenades, reports Telegraph UK.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, yet Nada Bakos, a former CIA analyst, told Al Jazeera that it “looks very similar” to some of the attacks previously carried out by al-Qaeda and ISIL.
“There’s no denying the terrorist nature of this attack of yet again the most extreme form of violence,” French President François Hollande said in an address to the nation early Friday. “Nothing will make us yield in our will to fight terrorism. We will further strengthen our actions in Iraq and in Syria. We will continue striking those who attack us on our own soil,” he added.